Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Big Mac attacked

Ronnie Mc D is about to take another one on the chin. This time it's not from someone who is morbidly obese and claiming they didn't know that food was the cause.

Nope this time it's from a more unlikely source.

Seems that Mickey D's has not been "consistent" in their labeling practices and they are on the verge of the Mother of all public relations Migraines with this one.

Here is how the deal went down.

Mc D's released a statement last week that their fries contain milk and wheat products.

Somewhere slightly off the beaten path of mainstream disease came the din of disgruntled sufferers of gluten sensitive enteropathy (GSE).

GSE in case you didn't know is a real disease that causes real misery among real people. In my practice of 5000 people I had about half a dozen or so folks with this illness and a few more that I suspected but couldn't prove.

The other name for GSE is celiac disease and current estimates guess it to be happening to about 1 in 250 adults.

Here's the thing though. It may be minimally symptomatic in a large majority of people thus not causing a whole lot of issues.

Anywho, there are a vocal group of folks who feel that they have been duped by McD's because of the wheat and dairy products in the fries.

If you add GSE to all the lactose intolerants out there (of which I suspect I am one) you have a thunderin' herd of upset people.

But wait there's more.

Turns out ol' Runnie Mc D hired a world expert to check on them thar frenchifyied fries and lo and behold he found and this here is a direct quote:

"Scientific evaluation by one of the world's leading experts on gluten sensitivity and allergenicity, Dr Steven Taylor of the Food Allergy Research and Resource Program of the University of Nebraska, has confirmed again that our fries are gluten free and allergen free," said McDonald's senior vice president Jack Daly in a statement."

In other words there ain't no problem with the fries after all!
OOOPPPS, I guess there must be another reason y'all been fartin' up a storm.
The lawsuits are already swirling (surprise) even though they may have no merit.
But it raises another interesting point. Who knows what really is in the foods if the manufacturer doesn't, and has to hire a nationally renowned expert to figure it out. Makes me think of those old rat tail and band aid stories I used to hear about hot dogs when I was a kid.
Cured me of that addiction right quick.
Now lest there be someone who might have or thinks they have this illness out there I say again I sympathize with your plight and provide the following info for you about the illness so that you might be better educated.

There are anti-body tests your doctor can order to pick up most cases of the illness. They have names like anti endomysium, transglutaminase, and gliadin.

If you have a family history of the illness or have type 1 diabetes yourself you are at increased risk. If you have a constellation of the following have chronic diarrhea, unexplained anemia, chronic fatigue, or unexplained weight loss.

If the illness is not treated early the person can go on to develop soft bones, malnutrition and low blood count in addition to the years of misery from loose bowels "terminal" flatulence and bloating.

That said, you might just observe what food don't agree with you more closely and remember that there are a lot of mild cases out there that don't need an insurance biopsy to diagnose and treat.

Also I'd like to remind the people who brought those lawsuits that an overall healthy approach to diet is especially important to anyone with this illness whether they have a severe case or a mild case.

And last time I checked French fries were not on ANY healthy diet list.

I suppose I should remind you that spilling hot coffee on your lap may also take away your psychic powers.

If that happens get to my site immediately and restore them with fish oil and Instant Einstein*

In the meantime I am writing to Mc Donald's and telling them to change the red and white sleeves on Ronald to red and white circles as we find on targets.

And I remind them "The best way to be a target is to have deep pockets".

No where did I put those psychic powers. Oh there they are under that pot of boiling water. Yeeeooocch!

*I am only half joking here as I have had more than one person tell me they had an ESP experience on this brew!

Best,

Dr Dave

No comments: