Sunday, March 5, 2006

No link found between Aspartame and cancer or any neurological symptoms.

* Please note: The terms aspartame and NutraSweet are used interchangeably in this article.

If you've read past the title you have a little more of an open mind than most people.

Some of them have already unsubscribed from my emails and hit the delete Dr Dave button.

So be it.

As I have said before about my job, "This is not a popularity contest".

It would be so easy not to fight a no win battle or just keep my mouth shut but that just ain't my way.

Before I give you the evidence behind the title let me say that I am not defending Aspartame.

As I mentioned before, you either hate it, blame it for bad things and/or fear that it may do bad things to you.

Or you don't give a crap.

Since I use it about 10 times a year and have had absolutely no problems with it, I don't give a crap.

But I am not "defending" its honor.

I am doing something no one else I know does and that is called a follow-up.

You see nothing irritates me more than when someone writes an article like, "Fish Oil bad for the heart?" and then doesn't follow up when the statement has been disproved.

In that particular case, my favorite anti anti-aging journal and bastion of the good 'ol boy network in traditional medicine JAMA (Journal of the Good ol' Boys I mean of the American Medical Association) published an article that was poorly done and got picked up and circulated for months by the lay press.

When the rebuttal came out it got almost no press.

They did it again when they published a "Fish Oil not Helpful in Cancer" article a few weeks back. Even though the articles they cited to substantiate their claims did not even use fish oil as a therapy!

Fish Oil and Prostate Cancer Part 1

Fish Oil and Prostate Cancer Part 2

Stop a Killer In Its Tracks

Well it's much the same with artificial sweeteners.

It's so easy for gurus or the people that write for them to print any study about how bad they are for you and get an instant pat on the back by their readership.

The most recent article was published a few months back and read something like "Aspartame causes cancer".

It was the party line as usual: "In addition to all the terrible other things that aspartame does to you like give you MS, migraines and Gulf War Syndrome now it causes cancer too. The big food industry is lyin', cheatin' and killin' ya and the government is lettin' 'em get away with it.
So come to me for the real scoop".

I love America but the government can always use some Instant Einstein.

I don't love the food industry and I hate the sugar lobby.

The reasons bear repeating:

1) Sugar in its various forms has done far more damage that is far more proven than any artificial sweetener ever did or will do.

2) Sugar has contributed volumes to obesity, diabetes and indirectly to heart disease and high blood pressure and yes even cancer. Sugar was the original reason for slavery.

3) Sugar helps keep America's teeth rotting.

4) If sugar was good for you there'd be no need for aspartame or any other substitutes.

As you can tell I am on my soapbox but this post is getting a bit long so I'll pick it up again tomorrow. If you haven't clicked delete or unsubscribe yet you might want to tune in again then.

All the Best from a very hot and sweaty Dr Dave

P.S. - At least wait until I 'm done with tomorrow's post to send me the emails telling me why I am so very wrong.

No comments: