Sunday, March 26, 2006

Week in review - Part 2

Here are some more juicy tidbits from the current news files that caught my eye.

By now you know that eye is rather jaundiced, at least in the figurative sense.

Sheriff Billy McGee stands accused of commandeering 2 FEMA ice trucks to help New Orleans residents keep their insulin cold.

He probably saved many lives but now he is labeled as a criminal because he "coerced and intimidated" FEMA officials into doing something that was actually worthwhile for a change.

Nice job, Billy. Thanks for being a man among sheep. I'll hold off on the Broke Back Mountain jokes for the moment.

Speaking of Broke Back Mountain, actor Randy Quid is suing over his paycheck for the film. Apparently he was told that it would be a "low budget art house film with no prospect of making money."

Ok, Randy, you also deserve at least Honorable Mention for the Instant Einstein Awards.

From the above, I understand that you either took a crappy part in a lousy film that was destined to fail and keep you in the poor house and you did this on purpose, or you believed them when they told you they were making a crappy film with a lousy part that was going to keep you in the poor house and now your miffed that they were wrong.

How about this: you were hard up for a decent part and took a part because you needed work and now that the money is passing you by, you want a piece of it even though you signed a contract.

Pal, if I was the judge I slam down the gavel and say "guilty as charged".

You'd have to decide if you wanted to be guilty of stupidity or greed.

Which leads me to the Einstein runner up award.

If FEMA doesn't get it, then surely one of the following deserves it:

Apparently Saddam Hussein was aware of our war plans when Gulf War II started. The Russians supposedly had a high-level source, within the Pentagon or close by, that tipped him off.

The problem is I don't know who to give the bottle of Einstein to.

Do I give it to the Russians for believing false info that we planted?

Do I give it to the CIA for letting a high-level operative into our government's inner sanctum, or do I give it to the Iraqi dictator for believing it?

Or not believing it.

Oh well I guess time will tell but some one needs a bottle of Einstein very, very badly.

A while back I wrote about my personal opinion of cell phones and cell phone abuse. Some of you wrote back and said, well it's just technology, get used to it.

I am here to tell you there is scientific evidence that cell phones are bad for you. No they don't rob you of your psychic powers but they do increase your chances of being hurt or dying in a car crash or doing the same to someone else who is sharing the road with you.

But there is more.

A University of Wisconsin study showed that regular use of cell phones allowed work concerns to spill over into family and social time creating more stress and less life satisfaction.

Man do they need some fish oil and Instant Endurance to buffer their brains and bodies against the rigors of daily life in the cyber age.

And today's final entry is a happy one.

I call it "Dude, where's my flying car" after the movie of a similar name.

When I was a young boy my parents took me to the 1963 World's Fare. My mom always tells the story of how I had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the long line to get into the Soviet (yes, they called it that in those days) Pavilion.

I don't remember that but I am reminded of it every chance she feels the need to embarrass me four decades later.

What I remember was the flying cars. I knew someday I'd have my very own flying car. I also loved the cool plastic models of the jets of the future. The 747, the SST and others.

Well the future didn't turn out that way.

No flying cars.

The 747 has come and gone and is already long outmoded.

The SST was still born and the French version the Concorde died a sad death along with over 100 passengers a few years ago.

But now we have the 'scram jet'. The technology is perfected that will allow us to go 7X the speed of sound. Imagine New York to Paris in 30 minutes.

Who needs a flying car anyway!?

Yes, my friend, there is much to live for. Take your fish oil, your Monster Multi and your Einstein so you'll understand and be the master of your destiny.

What a week!

See ya soon, Doc

P.S. Here is the quote of the week taken from an article wondering about all of the negative press fish oil has gotten courtesy of the big medical journals that are supported by Big Pharma.

Apparently one study was published using the infamous meta analysis technique (See parts 3 and 4 of Why Medical Research Sucks on this blog page) that seems to disagree with the thousands of articles that show the benefits of fish oil.

And while none of those thousands of articles get much press, the one that flies in the face of all of them does.

Who cares. It has happened before and it will happen again.

This is a truth. And the truth lives here.

This from the British Daily Mail:

"I take 1000mg of Omega-3 a day as suggested by my doctor for cholesterol. After a year it lowered my total level by 40 points with no other change in diet. I'm very happy with the results and happy not to have to take an expensive medicine!"


I'll bet that pisses the drug companies off no end. D'Ya hear footsteps guys?!

No comments: