Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Stud or spud

In this segment of the blog I cover some exercise and diet questions that have come in over the past few weeks and give them a stud or spud rating.

It is sometimes true you can tell the kind of person you are dealing with from the kind of questions they ask.

See how well you do with the rankings by picking Stud or Spud when you've read the question.

My rankings are at the end of each blog.

Q #1: Doc I know I have some bad habits in both eating and exercise that are keeping me from succeeding on the body habbitus front. Any suggestions on how to break them?

A: First, identify them. You are the kind of person that would benefit most from keeping a diet and exercise journal. A lot of people say "I know what I have to do I just don't do it" and leave it at that.

Keeping records for a week or two can be miraculous at identifying where you are and what you really need to work on.

Saying "I eat between meals" is not enough. What do you eat and why do you eat? If you are truly hungry then you are eating the wrong things at meal times. If you are just bored or stressed you need to substitute a better behavior.

Finally, start small with a written plan once you've identified your weak areas. Do a little at a time. Slowly replace your bad habits with a better habit and build on that.


By the way by "body habbitus front" do you mean how you look?

I am the doctor here. I will use the big words and undecipherable phrases and euphemisms!

Dr Dave's Spud or Stud ranking: Spud. This person is a devout coach potato, spineless, gutless and uncommitted. He/she needs a good boot in the bootocks and to read my recent blog post "My own Two Feet".

They are probably also carefree, creative and fun at cocktail parties so there are some redeeming factors.

The also desperately need fish oil, Hercules Factorand Regenerizer.

Tune in again for some more of Stud or Spud and bring your potato peeler.

Your man in the kitchen and down on the farm,
Dr Dave

No comments: