Saturday, April 29, 2006

How fruit juice can prevent cancer

Did you like that headline?

It's an example of one of the types of headlines you are likely to see in a typical Alternative Medicine newsletter sales pitch.

Please understand that this blog is part of a series that starts with "Here a Doc there a doc every where a Doc". If you haven't read that one go back and do so to get the most of today's post.

It will be worth the 90 seconds it takes you.

In the next day or two I'll tell you all about it and I have something special for you, an unexpected secret gift for some enterprising genius out there.

It is my personal gift to you.

I am going to give you a multi billion dollar idea for some enterprising entrepreneur out there who will never give me credit I am sure.

And in a little bit I am going to show you the proof of that and apply it to some of the newsletter tricks that you get from many so called "Alternative Health" newsletters.

I showed you an email I got in yesterday's blog asking me to evaluate the real value of the contents of one of these newsletters.

I am not going to name the Doc who edits (again, edits not writes) this newsletter but my reader sent in a link, which took me to a page where all the burning questions I have about my health would be asked.

Not answered of course because then there would be no newsletter to buy. I'll provide the answers for you so you can judge the originality and value of the newsletter.

Here we go.

The first thing this guy recommends is fish oil. Well, at least he gets off to a great start!

He even recommends 6 caps a day.

Where could he have gotten that?

Most of the info he gives could have been gotten from any one of my emails on that very topic and we both know I never write anything about fish oil.

Hey, using my stuff is not illegal but it won't get him past the B.S. meter on the other stuff he writes.

Next piece of advice: go to church on Sunday because it relaxes you and reduces your blood pressure.

I think that probably depends on whose giving the sermon but it's not bad advice at all.

So far, not bad.

Next, eat chocolate.

Yep we've covered that one many times here too. But there is one problem this doc forgets to tell you: in addition to chocolate's effects on blood pressure and good cholesterol it also put several pounds on all of the study subjects who ate it regularly.

OOOPS!

If you want all those benefits on your blood pressure and your good cholesterol and want to reduce the fat in your body in the process just take those 6 caps of fish oil daily and stop there. In addition you'll get a ton of other health restoring benefits.

OK, it's time for he first billion-dollar idea. Omega 3-enhanced chocolate.

Get the benefits of chocolate and fish oil, have your cake and eat your fish all at once. Just fill out this rapid response form now and.... well, you know the rest of the story!

I would put money on the fact someone is going to try this.

Next, we get the sunlight vitamin D and cod liver oil connection.

Well, I just wrote to you about the vitamin D and sunlight issue.

Five minutes a day is all you need as I mentioned. I also told you how filthy and polluted many of the cod liver oils are and how they can overdose you on Vitamin D pretty fast if you are not careful.

Somehow all of that got left out of our doc in the boxes newsletter.

Next is "How a fruit juice can prevent cancer"

But alas you'll have to tune in tomorrow to read the rest.

And yes, I promise to deliver the goods I told you about today. I just wanted you to see a typical ploy used to hook you into buying one of these worthless newsletters.

If you feel a little gypped, there is a lesson in this. Remember it the next time one of those glossy magalog pitches shows up in your mailbox!

I'll be looking for you with more great stuff tomorrow.

Ok Ok I'll give you some right now because you deserve it.

I have to hand it to the National Association of Fruit Growers. They created a fantastic demand for an almost uneatable fruit: Pomegranate.

In my area they were called "Indian Apples" and we got them for about 1 week a year during the fall form local growers.

I loved eating the seeds out of them but actually the sour taste was pretty unappealing then. It was mostly for the fun of digging out the seeds.

But in order to get the most out of the pomegranate you need to know something no fruit grower, juice seller or Alternative Health Guru copywriting team will tell you.

Tune in tomorrow for the big secret and of course the good news about pizza.

Or is it?

All the Best, Doc

No comments: