Friday, April 21, 2006

Lessons from a master multitasker

Multitasking is something that just about every doctor needs to do and do well. It was not uncommon in my clinic days to be having a conversation in sign language with a nurse, carrying on a phone conversation and writing or signing a prescription all at once.

Humans are unique among primates in their ability to multitask, mainly because of our highly developed brains.

One area of the brain known as Area 10 is critical in the multitask.

I can hear it now; someone will want to know if there is an Area 51 in the brain and what it does. The answer to this can only be found on the X files!

Area 10 is the area that lets us pick up where we left off and continue with our longer term goals. For instance, if you were writing a check for a specific amount and reason (the IRS perhaps!) and then the tea pot brewed over, you don’t have to start the whole train of thought needed to write the check all over again.

As a matter of fact, when it comes to the IRS, writing checks might be so automatic you might not need to give it any thought at all.

Just feel the pain and sign.

We are also able to carry on some pretty complex tasks without thinking twice; and I mean that literally, as long as they are highly practiced.

This explains why a drunk might drive home without getting lost, or a boxer who was almost KO’d finishes a fight but doesn’t remember what happened.

The scariest case I knew of was that of an orthopedic surgeon (bone doctor) who had the beginning stages of Alzheimer’s disease.

He never made any mistakes during his surgeries because he had done so many of them. Thus they were highly practiced.

The jig was up however when one day he walked into a room to see one of his patients with a nurse and said, “Who are you and what did I do to you?”

His was a tragic story and took place before the advent of Pharmaceutical Grade Fish Oil and Instant Einstein. I can tell you that I could not get along without either of them. I am 100% sure they boost my brain power, my creativity, my memory and my ability to multi task.

And in this super fast cyber information age we could all use a little help with multitasking.

If only to keep up with our kids who seem to be born to talk on a cell phone, download to their Ppods (the unhip, non-techno version of the ipod) scan split images of the TV while ignoring their parents in studied fashion.

Here is a little note from a guy who was feeling the pressure but has learned how to handle it now.

“Doc,

I can’ tell you what a difference your products make for me. I have been on fish oil, Einstein, and Monster Multi for a few months now and have noticed amazing stuff happening.

I am an IT guy and I am constantly upgrading my education to stay current. Also I only have an associate’s degree. They want to promote me but company policy is I have to have my bachelors and then of course a Master’s.

All this means about 2 more years of school. I am often studying, on the phone, dealing with my kids, or other situations that require multitasking.

I swear I didn’t use to be able to do it. I would throw up my hands and say “Slow down, I’m getting confused!” I really thought it would hinder my advancement at work.

I am so happy to have mastered this new skill.

It's made life much easier and now I can relate to my kids better since that is all they do these days!

Mason L."


Cool, Mason, or should I say Kuhl! I will second that story with my own experiences. Nothing beats Instant Einstein and Fish Oil when it comes to brain power.

Now go out and get some and watch your brain power multiply and your life change for the better.

All the best from a Master Multitasker and a lousy shpeller,

Dr Dave

Supplements mentioned in this email:

No comments: