Thursday, April 20, 2006

Martha Stewart sleeps with the fishes

Five or six years ago I was in smallish room with about 40 or so other doctors. The lecture was on what was to become one of my favorite topics. You might even say it has become a major part of my life’s work. The topic was the essential fatty acid chain and how it affects human health.

The lines and arrows began to blur and the names sounded the same, linoleic or linolenic acid, sheesh I’m not sure.

The words droned on and on and the diagram of fatty acid biology slowly infolded before me.

The in a Eureka moment I got it. It all boiled down to fish oil.

That was then and this is now.

Fish oil has grown to a 300+ million dollar a year business worldwide and it seems like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.

Doctors everywhere are using it to treat heart disease arthritis and other illness even though the FDA says you can’t make health claims about it.

Some of the heart doctors in my area who were my biggest critics years ago are now among my best customers.

Everyone and their brother is trying to sell it, from Maverick M.D.’s who look like death warmed over to domestic divas and hairdressers.

Those that missed the fishing boat are trying to push other inferior products like cod, flax and krill without much luck.

Even people who you wouldn’t expect are touting the benefits of fish oil directly or indirectly.

But never in my wildest dreams did I think I would find something about fish oil on the Martha Stewart Living website.

Now mind you, Martha herself is not using it to flavor her melange or anything like that but she did publish an article by a nutritionist who specialized in nutragenomics (using food to affect our genetic expression).

You may recall that I have written several times over the years about how fish oil can directly and indirectly “reprogram” your DNA.

You may also recall the critical role it plays in cell signaling and of course the aging process itself from the eyes to the joints, from the brain to the heart and so on.

If you read Martha’s little article you will find some surprising similarities to stuff I have written over the past 4 years.

Surprise, people do copy other people and there is no law against it. I figure it this way, someone with that kind of reach and that kind of power can do a lot of good by spreading the “gospel” of fish oil.

Sometimes I forget that not everyone out there is as well informed as you are.

So, Martha, thanks.

Now I have another suggestion for you. Next time some one from the Federal Trade Commission calls you, take a big slug of fish oil and Instant Einstein.

It will help you do the right thing!

All the Best from Dr Dave, the proud maker of the world’s Best fish oil.

Here is the Martha Stewart Fish Oil article:

Go Fish Oil

No comments: