Sunday, April 16, 2006

I Walk the Line

I have to admit I have been pretty hard on the younger generation in the past few months. I've made wise cracks about their use of cell phones, their driving abilities and their addiction to myspace.com and so on.

But every now and then I get a really intelligent question or series of questions from a young person that makes me rethink my ususal "You need Einstein" status.

That is what we've got today but there is only one problem.

This kid is from Britain!

Wouldn'tcha know it. I've said it before in "Why the Brits are smarter than us" but did they have to go ahead and prove me right?

Oh well they do use a lot of fish oil in schools these days over there and have been getting great results.

Here is the email from one smart, highly motivated kid:

"Doctor Dave,

I have been reading your posts keenly for about a year now since Matt Furey wrote about your fish oil product. I have read in the past that the English rugby team take omega-3 supplements for their joints.

My current problem is with DOMS (delayed onset muscular soreness).

I am an avid 16-year-old athlete; I play soccer, do a fair amount of sprinting and chin-ups and I follow my own program devised from Combat Conditioning. Due to my school-work, I feel I can only exercise in the weekends and I lose my discipline, so when I exercise for the first time in the holidays, the next few days my muscles hurt: mainly my chest, triceps, lower back (from Hindu Press-ups) and my legs (from Hindu Squats). The last two really kill me so I get a massage if I'm lucky. In addition to this, once I had my legs stretched forward-like as if I was doing a high kick in Tae Kwon Do, to increase flexibility, and the whole of next week I didn't know why I was hurting.

I looked this up on the Internet and I found the term DOMS kept popping up. Btw, I compared your fish oil to other products, and their values are a joke. I have no doubt yours is the best.) Could you please explain what exactly is happening to my muscles, how it affects my strength and abilities, and how I can fix this?

One more thing, please, have you noticed that most "producers" either claim their products either help the heart, or joints, or the brain-eye function but not all three, or is it just me? I didn't see much difference in the nutritional values but either these producers are ill-informed or they want to sell the same products under different labels.

Yours,
WSL, UK"


Dear WSL, you are certainly an active person and it's no wonder you are experiencing some DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness).

Let me cut to the chase and say that Super Omega 3 and Cardio Boost would probably be an ideal combo for you to control this.

You could use a pack of Super Omega 3 1 hour before and another pack of Super Omega 3 with 2 Cardio boosts 30 to sixty minutes after your heaviest workouts; or better yet, get on a morning/evening routine of 1 pack of Super Omega 3 and 2 Cardio Boosts after your breakfast and the same after your latest meal or snack of the day.

Since it sounds like you are always on the go, the later routine would be the best for you if you can afford it.

DOMS can be improved by clearing out the lactic acid levels and flushing the muscles with increased blood flow after the workout and controlling the inflammation process in the body with the anti-inflammatory properties of Cardio Boost and Super Omega 3.

During the repair phase, the little muscular bridges that allow your muscles to
cross link and contract the muscle are disrupted until they are healed. Also, there is swelling within the tissue that contributes to muscular weakness during this phase.

Remember, your muscles get torn down from your workouts and then begin repair phase, which I believe you can speed up with the supplements.

This will allow you to perform better on a more consistent basis as you will be pain free and less stiff.

And you'll still get the repair phase that makes you stronger, faster and better as an athlete.

You are probably also controlling some other important things that athletes get like inflammation and joint damage even at your young age.

Remember, people don't have to replace knees and hips because of what they did when they were old even though that is when the operations happen.

It's usually the damage they did when they were younger that sets up chronic inflammation and destruction of body tissues.

Too many athletes think and think wrongly that because they are in great shape their bodies can handle the toxins and free radicals that high levels of exercise produces.

I am nearing 50 and believe me, I could not do the things I do now without the supplements. Of course I have access to and use Regenerizer, Hercules Factor and Instant Endurance as well, but that can get expensive.

Surprisingly, there are a lot of serious athletes that spring for the whole ball of wax because their performance is that important to them and they don't want to take illegal drugs like steroids and Growth Hormone.

As to the people who do not sell products for multiple things, I think there are several reasons. One definitely is ignorance. You have to remember a lot of supplement sellers are not in fact producers like I am. They do no research and simply sell someone else's product with a different label on it.

I don't do that and you can look at the ingredients and you'll see no one else has what we have, although I am sure there are clones. I recently attended an Anti-Aging conference and had to sit through a 1 hour lecture listening to a national expert on brain health tell the audience he had discovered an amazing new formula and was planning on making a supplement from it.

It turned out to be Instant Einstein almost verbatim.

The other reason is that some people are afraid they will overstep their boundaries and piss of the powers that be and get hunted down by the FDA or FTC. So they stay within accepted guidelines and cower in their boots while millions of people suffer needlessly and could be helped by things like fish oil.

I can't say it any better than Johnny Cash did:

I Walk the Line!

Thanks for this very intelligent question.

I think you will go far in life!

All the Best,
Dr Dave

P.S. I am glad you are still getting my emails across the pond!


Supplements mentioned in this blog:

No comments: